Sunday, December 14, 2008

11 Days to Christmas

Merry Christmas

It's holiday time again and anyone who has to go shopping will notice a difference. Even for something as monotonous as grocery shopping one can put their life in someone else's hands. People are more aggressive both on the street and in the aisles. For one who HATES shopping of any kind it makes it all that much worse.

I do most of my Christmas shopping in July or online and am usually done before Thanksgiving. Since I'm doing mostly handmade stuff for gifts this year I've been knitting a lot. Nothing big or fancy or that needs 100% of my attention but nice, useful gifts that most people would appreciate. And if they don't I won't have to know. I still have a few things to make for fun little gifts but if, for some reason, they don't get done - No harm, no foul. No one else has to know I was thinking of giving them a little handmade gift.

I finished my slipper socks and they are great. Too big, which is why I'm using them as slippers, but they are nice and soft and look very pretty. They keep my feet warm, therefore they are serving their purpose. I also made a normal pair of socks for my daughter. Since we live in South Florida she requested they be anklets. No problem for me since it means less knitting, however they have a tendency to fall off her feet. She has now requested the next pair to be a little higher. I'm just happy she wants another pair. I want my own first so she will have to wait until then. I bought some fun self-striping sock yarn and am looking forward to knitting that up for her and I.

NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR KNITTING...

We went camping (in tents) a few weeks ago and the temperature dropped down to high 30's/low 40's. While that isn't SO bad in normal circumstances, it is hard to sleep in a tent when it's that cold. The first night I was covered from the tip of my head to my toes (and let me tell you I felt like I was suffocating) so the next day I decided to change the Christmas stocking I had started into a quick hat. I had it on 16" circular needles with 60 stitches and acrylic yarn. Within 2 hours I was done. There was no way I was going to have a cold head two nights in a row. Once the sun went down I put it on with pride and received many compliments on my quick thinking and knitting. It kept me much warmer throughout the evening and while I slept. Too bad I couldn't have made a scarf and mittens to match. I'll bring more yarn next time for those.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

No comments: